The mission of VaSAM is to provide a medium for Virginia physicians and medical trainees with special interests in addiction medicine to meet and address issues of mutual interest.
The purpose of VaSAM shall be:
- to enable networking with colleagues in addiction medicine
- to provide closer liaison between VaSAM members and the national activities of ASAM
- to provide liaison to other Virginia physicians and physician societies regarding addiction medicine issues
- to increase public awareness in Virginia about the existence and vitality of physician specialty of addiction medicine
- to increase public awareness in Virginia about problems related to addiction
- to promote professionalism in the delivery of services to patients with problems which result from addiction
- to be a physician resource for state and national public policy issues that affect addiction medicine services and patients with addiction.